Landlord Gas Safety Check – Be Safe from your Gas Appliances at Home

According to the 1998 gas safety regulations (installation and use), homeowners are legally obliged to ensure that the devices, fixtures, fireplaces or gas fires on their rental homes are safe for their tenants.

Do I need a gas safety certificate?

If you rent a home, you are legally obliged to have a registered Gas Safe engineer, such as Ignite Facilities, perform a gas safety check. Our technician will include the verification data in the gas safety report of a landlord (also called CP12 certificate) with copies for you and your tenants.

Even if your tenants do not use the gas, but there is a power supply for your home, it remains necessary to verify it.

gas engineers feed on Trent – central heating system

Organization of a gas safety check

Gas installations on your rental object must be verified every year and must pass 10 to 12 months after the verification of the previous year. If the verification before or after this period of 10 to 12 months is completed, your next gas safety check must be performed 12 months after the current one.

Our gas engineer gives you a copy of your gas safety form and contains the results of the tests you have performed on your gas appliances. As a landlord Certificates you must provide a copy for your tenant and for new tenants they need a copy before they move. Existing tenants need a copy within 28 days after inspection.

Receive your gas safety certificate

You can obtain a gas safety certificate (or a gas safety registration form) by making an appointment with one of our registered Gas Safe engineers. We will perform a visual inspection of all your gas appliances and accessible pipes to check if they are in good condition, then we will test the pipes to ensure that there are no gas leaks.

Your gas safety form contains the following:

  • A description and location of each device or chimney that the technician has verified
  • Name of the engineer, registration number and signature.
  • The date on which the verification was performed
  • The address of the property that has been verified
  • The name and address of the lessor (or his agent)
  • All security errors detected by the technician, and all necessary or taken measures to resolve it
  • Confirmation of the results of the operational safety checks carried out on the devices.

By law, you must ensure that the pipes of your rental property are kept in good condition. Your gas engineer can record the results of these tests to show whether your pipe is safe or not. While tenants are responsible for their own gas appliances, you are also responsible for the pipes to which they are connected.

Gas safety certificates do not have a fixed price, because the costs depend on the choice of a gas engineer. Contact us today if you want to know how much Ignition facilities charge fees for certificates.
Click here for more information about Gas safety Check